September's book...Nothing to Envy, Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick.It is about North Korean everyday life...not necessarily about those better off but those from lower class circles too. I read Wild Swans by Jung Chang about China's history...and found many similarities. The Great Leap Forward in China happened in North Korea...and is still happening. People are starving to death everyday. It is hard to swallow...our worlds are far apart in every sense of everything. Yet of course these North Koreans dwell on family relationships the same as we do...these people courageously go on everyday to progress....and while we do too...we really have it relatively easy.
It was a hard read because of the startling life situations...really a downer to think about and learn about. It kills me to see leaders who can't humble themselves for the survival of their people. How can a true leader live in comfort and ease when his followers/people are starving to death? I will never understand that.
Those who have defected to South Korea or China don't always have an easier life once food is in their stomachs. Ideologically they have to overcome too much to adapt to a new life! I loved learning what South Korea does to help these brave defectors adjust to a self sustaining life there. I wish the US would do more to prepare immigrants to survive and become self sufficient...not that it is always successful...but at least a lot of effort is given in South Korea.
Overall...would I read this book again? I don't know if I want to...it is a hard/depressing...but very informative read. I have never really thought about North Korea...all I knew was that their nuclear weapons program creates a huge barrier of cooperation with the US...which is probably why I know very little. I remember hearing a rumor that North Korea paid Chinese or South Koreans to go to the World Cup in South Africa and cheer for their team. I could believe it to to be true after reading this book. I do recommend that everyone read the book though...to learn more empathy for people struggling to survive...which helps me to do more for others less fortunate.
No comments:
Post a Comment