Thursday, February 3, 2011

Museo de la Historia Nacional de Chile

I love colonial buildings...as if history is felt inside those walls...I love it!
Azaleia and I in the courtyard of the Museum...what a beautiful building to discover!
We discovered and learned in the Museum about Chile's National History. 2010 was the 200 Year Celebration of Independence...and their efforts to protect and preserve their heritage is shown with this beautiful museum.  We learned about what colonial life was like with model kitchens...tools...clothing...all sorts of things.  We saw paintings about the war for independence. 

The most fascinating aspect of the Museum to me was the recent history with the military coup of Pinochet from then President Allende.  There was a wall of front page newspapers from different countries showing news of the military coup.  Allende was a good friend of Fidel Castro and a socialist...which is partly why the US feared him.  The CIA actually tried to prevent his election and when he did become president...the US applied much pressure to destabilize the government of Chile.  Allende had nationalized the copper industry...the banking industry...and others.  He increased social programs...increased wages...and with the many changes...led Chile to inflation...and when he tried doing more things like nationalize the transportation...the people started striking.  With the US helping make life difficult for Allende...it was easy for a military coup to take place.  The years under the military dictatorship of Augosto Pinochet was no good for Chile.  There were many several human rights violations...with disappearances and torturing the opposition.  Ernesto even had a family member victim to the torture...let alone everyone who had to live under this new life with curfews and fear.  There is so much to learn about the military coup of 11 Sept 1973.

I guess the reason why I loved my visit to the Museum was because two Chileans helped me understand more about what the military coup was like.  There was an older gentleman and his son there...looking at the newspapers.  I asked a question or two...and they began to share with me more.  They used the photos and newspaper clippings to help me understand...and it was a neat opportunity for me. 

I said there was history within those walls...and it was so true. 
These walls have lived through years of change and many emotions.
I have a lot of time on my hands...so Museums keep Azaleia and me entertained!
We never have to walk more than 30 minutes to get to all of these museums...it's amazing.  I never thought I would love living in a big city...thinking that city life doesn't suit me...but I do love Santiago!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you my lovie for all the insights of Chilean history. There is much to learn, Thanks for sharing!!