Friday, January 28, 2011

Mercado Central

Welcome to Santiago's Mercado Central...where you can buy all the fresh fish your heart desires!
Chile is a coastal country and loves fresh fish and mariscos. So when we discovered this place was a 15 min walk from our house...it was our first Saturday outing. I remember watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman on the Travel Channel...and he came here when he came to Chile. I was not up for devouring the strange things as he does...but it was definintely a thrilling experience. The hallway below shows a typical scene there...lots of people buying fresh fish. It was interesting to walk around there because there was fish everywhere...and the smell was quite strong...and since they were constantly putting fresh ice to display the fish...the floors were quite wet.Really...fish galore!
We walked one time through...had multiple lunch invitations...then went outside to snap some photos before almorzando. At the entrance was a guy and his llama...totally catering to the tourists. We wanted Azaleia to sit on the llama like Ernesto and I have photos on a pony...but it wasn't happening here.
The architecture is quite interesting at the Mercado Central. Apparently the top portion was designed and constructed in Paris, France...by the same guy who designed the Eiffel Tower.
As you can see...it was quite beautiful inside. I liked the open feeling. Just a little interesting that something so beautiful would house fish...but hey...I'm sure Chileans appreciate it.
I ordered some oysters and a yummy salad. I find that it is bearable with lots of lemon juice. I wish I loved things of the sea more...but it is definitely something I need to work on.
Ernesto's yummy fish...he was in heaven!
There were some tourists sitting close to us...Europeans I believe...with one son. The husband requested the music group to play "Besame Mucho" and then he asked his wife to dance...so romantic! It was so darling...especially to see their son taping the whole thing and smiling so big!
Happy Mama and Baby because Papa was so happy!
After eating we went around again to take some more photos. I have never been somewhere like the Mercado Central...it was fascinating!
Num num...
Hmm...
Oysters...my favorite shell fish that I have tried so far.
We ate right here...cool huh?
If you ever come to Santiago...make sure you check out the Mercado Central!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

You're a trooper for being so willing to try everything. I, like you, don't enjoy food from the sea; but I, unlike you, wouldn't be so willing to try oysters among others items.

Carolyn Baggett said...

Leannita,

We want to come down to Chile so bad!!! Char looks at the photos and it brings him back to his mission.
We miss you like crazy!!

Chrissie said...

So many fun and beautiful places! Thanks for sharing them with us. Glad you guys are having such a terrific time.