Thursday, January 27, 2011

a Chilean Cyrano...and friends

The next theatrical producation we saw was Cyrano. By far this was the most entertaining version I have seen as yet. It was held in the outdoor amphitheatre at the Museum of Fine Arts...super close to our house. We enjoyed everything about it. As we walked in they handed us newspaper rolled up into balls...and told us we would need it later in the show. Hmm...
There were two actors the entire production...and oh so talented I must say. He played Cyrano and many other parts...and she played Roxanne, Christian...and other parts. They played off each other incredibly well. So funny! As you can tell in the photos...the big nose was played off by different color clown noses...too fun. There were even parts of Cyrano put to modern music...them both singing and dancing. This version of Cyrano was awesome because of the many Chilean modismos or sayings and the impersonations voice wise of well known Chileans. I thought it was hilarious...but Ernesto told me if I would have understood all the different inside Chilean jokes...it would have been even funnier. I'm sure that is true. Everyone was laughing the whole time...it was so entertaining!
The backdrop and pretty much every prop was made of newspaper. This company of actors play off this principle...of using mundane and simple things as the center or their design. During the battle scene we got to throw the newspaper balls at the actors. Too funny when a little boy waited until everyone else had already thrown theirs...and then was so excited to throw his and surprise the actors.
It said that entrance was free but not the exit. It was a free production to see...but the actors asked for some compensation at the end. I liked the concept. I was willing to donate more after seeing such an entertaining piece. I love Santiago a Mil!
Since we have had our own place we have also had some of Ernesto's friends over...
he attended highschool here in Santiago with Cristian who is a lover of political science. Ernesto loved chatting with him Chilean politics and history. He lives super close.
Barbara was one of Ernesto's friends and classmates from his year of college in Antofagasta.
She is so nice and such a good friend.
We loved our time with both!

No comments: