Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thoughts on 9/11

 Today marks 10 years since the terrorist attack in New York.  What a tragedy for all mankind.  My heart doesn't understand that level of hatred one must have in their heart to ever carry out such a cruel act.  My heart hurts for the suffering it caused.  I don't understand everything that happened...I don't know the truth of the whole situation.  I probably will never know.  As I have pondered over this for a bit now...I came to the conclusion that the world needs more Christlike love to be shown. 

I love being a citizen of the United States.  I am proud to be from a free land where I can express my thoughts and opinions freely.  I can worship freely by myself or with others.  Truly...it is a blessed nation.  I am grateful for the men and women who make that freedom possible.  The more I meet others from all corners of this nation...the more I learn about the history of this nation...the more I realize just how diverse the United States really is.  After marrying an immigrant to this country...and after working with many foreign students and scholars...I have learned to love our diverse differences and rejoice both in the different and the similar.  I am saddened however about certain prejudices towards foreigners in the immigration process and the "tightening" of travel policies.  I feel we miss the mark sometimes.  I feel that at times the government teaches us to fear what we do not know instead of embracing the good that comes from different people.

At UVU I worked closely with the local Muslim community every year for the Ramadan Program.  Mohammad is a student at UVU from Jordan studying International Business.  He is so friendly and so thoughtful.  Upon returning to Utah from a visit home...he brought me some trinkets to share his culture and his country with me.  My appreciation and respect for his culture has grown from our friendship. 
 Brother Masood is from Iran and is a Professor of Engineering at UVU.  He always calls me Sister Leanna.  Similar to the LDS faith...the Muslim community uses Brother and Sister as titles in their congregations.  When we planned these cultural exchanges we tried to bring those participating to a level of respect and understanding for both cultures to thrive in the same community.  I believe when we work together and learn to love and respect one another...we begin to understand how good life is and how much we can appreciate each other...despite our differing cultural and religious practices. 

This is our friend Nilufar from Tajikistan.  She is a sweetheart in every way.  The picture is from a Miss United Nations Pageant held at UVU last fall.  I loved what she shared with the audience.  Part of the reason she felt compelled to enter the Pageant was because of her desire to share with all how loving and compassionate people of the Muslim faith are.  I felt saddened that she felt she had to prove that to us...in the United States...but I am grateful for the person she is...and I know that she loves sincerely. 
I read a great story in the Washington Post by Karen Armstrong...titled Time for religion to be a force for good...and joined the Charter for Commission.  Check it out...and pledge yourself! 
My friend IeLi wrote her thoughts...and I appreciated them very much.  I encourage you to read too!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so true, Leanna. Thank you for sharing. We desperately need to be more understanding people.

Ie Li said...

Leanna, you are just amazing. You continue to inspire me just as you did when we were 21.