Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Wandering around Barrio Lastarria

Before coming to Chile...I lived in other Latin American countries where Catholic churches and cathedrals are pretty normal...but I'm fascinated with the red and yellow ones here in Santiago.  I think the color makes it more pretty!  I think the color is good also because it lightens up the dark feeling when you enter in one.  They are almost always cold, dark, and damp...with very little light and too many morbid scenes of the death of Christ.  I'll show more in the next post...
Across the street from the church was a small playground...so of course we had to stop by.
These are common baby swings around here...made of wood.  A little sketchy but work just fine.
 Feria de las Indigenas---los Mapuches
There was a market on the inset of the Cerro Santa Lucia...and it was interesting to walk in to a cave like area.  It was a market of souvenirs made by the Chilean indians.  We wanted to support so Azaleia got a new pink bracelet with woven designs.



Of course when she saw the "agua" she had to touch it.  Once again I love all the little statues!

3 comments:

Spencer and Mackenzie said...

I LOVE all of your fun updates!! What a fun adventure you are having!

Heidi said...

You really are having so much fun!! and I love it that you change your blog too. I really like the font!

Stefanie Hathaway said...

Are you speaking almost all spanish to Azaleia while in Chile? How is the language working out for her? No big deal, I assume :)