Next stop...across the street from the subway station to...
Museum of Memories & Human Rights
![]() |
| Ernesto in front of the Museum after we had experienced...it was amazing! |
One level was dedicated to 11 September 1973 when the Military Coup took place here in Chile!
We saw video footage of that day...we heard Presidente Allende's final speech to his beloved countrymen before he committed suicide...we saw tons of newspaper articles...so many images.
We saw video footage of that day...we heard Presidente Allende's final speech to his beloved countrymen before he committed suicide...we saw tons of newspaper articles...so many images.
The next level was full of everything bad about that military dictatorship under Pinochet. There were disappearances...many tortured in every way possible...all for belonging to the opposition. All for wanting a free and democratic Chile. We felt so much here. We saw books and books of records and pictures of people who disappeared...were tortured and or killed. We saw testimonials from the few who survived the torture...items that were made by those shut up in prisons...letters from children to parents and grandparents that had gone missing...drawings...everything that meant suffering. I really can't imagine what it would have been like to be there. To see everything happening in Tunisia and now Egypt...as well as other countries..is really historic. History is in the making everyday. If I were in Egypt would I be protesting too? Would I be willing to give my life for a cause that means so much to an entire nation? I don't know. I'd like to say yes...but then I think about my own family...and I don't know.
![]() |
| The flags outside of the museum. |
The last floor was dedicated to the rebuilding of democracy in Chile. It was a triumphant feeling. There were videos and images shown of the protests...sometimes horrific...since a military government only knew how to react to the people with violence and force. We saw the time when the people voted "No" to Pinochet...when they voted for a free and democratic Chile. We watched the celebration in the huge stadium...with the flag of Chile covering the field...heard the newly elected President...and felt a certain pride for Chile...for having overcome years of suffering...for the people's resolution to never give up but to overcome. I love being here in Chile...and learning and feeling so much for a great people and a great nation!
Here is the link to the website of the Museum...with an awesome video...the one on the bottom of the page. I recommend checking it out...the music is moving and depicts the feeling of our visit here.
Here is the link to the website of the Museum...with an awesome video...the one on the bottom of the page. I recommend checking it out...the music is moving and depicts the feeling of our visit here.



No comments:
Post a Comment